- This position is responsible for assisting Journeyman/1st Class or Improver/2nd Class electricians with the installation, repair, and hook-up of equipment for electrical services on a ship.
- The individual must have some knowledge of electrical theory and procedures, and have the ability to follow directions related to the installation, repair, hook-up or maintenance of shipboard electrical systems and equipment (600 V and less) in accordance with specifications and drawings.
- The qualifications and general capabilities listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and ability desired by the shipyard.
- Must be able to comprehend basic instructions, drawings, and general correspondence. Must be able to read and interpret blueprints, electrical diagrams, computer printouts, specifications, and Navy standards manual.
- Must be able to effectively confer job related information such as conditions found to the journeyman/1st Class electrician or Improver/2nd Class electrician.
- Must be aware of Ohms law and its application. Understand appropriate sections of IEE, ABS, Coast Guard and manufacturer’s tech manuals and ship’s information book regarding electrical equipment.
- Must have a basic understanding of equipment and work processes used in marine electrical repair and system installation, especially as related to safety.
- Must be familiar with safety procedures pertaining to electrical procedures or have the ability to ask for safety information before working on electrical equipment.
- Must be able to operate and care for Electric Shop equipment, portable power tools, and hand tools.
- Must be able to add, subtract, multiply, and divide whole numbers, fractions, and decimals.
- Must understand US standard and metric system measurements.
- Must have one (1) year of related shipyard experience.
- Must have one (1) year of related electrical installation and repair experience.
- Must be DBIDs eligible, and MUST have OSHA 10.
- Must be available to work any schedule/shift as required by contract needs.