- Production welding on commercial barges.
- Layout, fabricate or repair metal plate and/or structural parts brace them in position according to specifications.
- Measure, mark and install metal plate for cutting per specifications, using tools such as saws, cutting torches, and more.
- Fit and weld metal plate in the repair and/or construction of barges using SMAW and GMAW.
- Remove high spots and cut bevels using hand files, portable grinders and cutting torches.
- May roll, bend, flange, cut, and shape plates, beams, and other heavy metal parts using shop machinery such as plate rolls, presses, bending brakes, and joggle machines.
- Weld components in a flat, vertical, or overhead positions.
- Set up welding machines based on the job at hand.
- Provide a great level of attention to detail and focus on the given task.
- Keep work areas clean and organized and take proper care of all equipment and facilities.
- Ensure work is done safely and meets quality standards.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must have 2+ years of recent experience working in a shipyard as a structural welder.
- Must be able to pass all administered tests prior to being hired for the position.
- Must possess a good general knowledge of ship repair procedures and test requirements.
- Must be able to comprehend instructions, drawings, and general correspondence.
- Must have a working knowledge of ship repair terminology and ship compartment naming convention.
- Must be physically and medically capable to wear all required personal protective equipment (PPE) required for the job as prescribed under OSHA standards. PPE may include hard hat, safety glasses, steel toe shoes, goggles, respirator, safety harness, safety line, flotation gear, etc.
- Must be a US Citizen
- Must be eligible for DBIDS