San Diego, California
- Weld parts in position for fabrication of vessels, tanks or other structural assemblies.
- Use carbon electrodes to cut, shape and groove metal.
- May prepare workplace for welding by cleaning and/or preheating.
- Examines weld sizes of weld beads.
- Cleans weld area; sweeps and removes scrap.
- Other job duties as may be assigned relevant to trade.
- A minimum of 3 years of Pipe Welding experience.
- OSHA 10-Hour Maritime Certificate.
- Comprehensive understanding of ship repair terminology and ship compartment location nomenclature.
- Possess a working knowledge of and be able to take measurements using the Metric and Imperial measurement systems.
- Be able to comprehend instructions, drawings, and general correspondence in English.
- Ability to effectively confer job related information to the structural supervisor and small groups.
- Ability to read and interpret structural drawings (including weld symbols), sketches, specifications, and NavSea standard items and Navy damage control diagrams.
- Must be able to weld using manual or semi-automatic welding equipment in various positions (Vertical, Horizontal, and/or Overhead).
- Physical/Medical - Successfully pass a Drug and Alcohol Screening.
- Must be Physically and Medically qualified to wear required Personal Protective Equipment for the trade.
- Must be able to lift 50+ pounds, bend, stretch, and stand for extended periods of time, climb stairs, ladders, reach, twist, work at elevated heights and small spaces.
- Must be able to successfully complete welding certification exams.
- Must possess or be eligible to get a DBIDS (Defense Biometric Identification).
- Have flexible schedule, be able to work any shift (1st, 2nd, or 3rd) and do overtime if required.