A Pumper Helper is responsible for assisting the Improvers and Journeymen accomplish all tasks required for the preparation of spaces for a Marine Chemist’s “Safe for Workers-Safe for Hot Work” Certifications, and other tasks requiring cleaning areas and transferring liquids. Work is accomplished in all phases of ship repair and modernization of maritime vessels including US Naval Vessels, Military Sealift Command, and commercial ships and barges. The position requires a comprehensive understanding of gas free conditions, handling Hazmat, and the paperwork required to accomplish the tasks.
- Must be able to comprehend instructions, drawings, and general correspondence.
- Must have a basic understanding of ship repair terminology and ship compartment location nomenclature.
- Must be physically and medically capable of wearing all required personal protective equipment (PPE) required for the job as prescribed under OSHA standards. PPE includes hard hat, safety glasses, steel toe shoes, goggles, respirator, safety harness, safety line, flotation gear, etc.).
- Must be able to convey material condition of the ship as it pertains to the assigned work item, and provide recommended corrective action.
- Must have 8 hour Hazwoper training to handle oil Must be able to prepare spaces for gas free certification.
- Must be able to add, subtract, multiply, and divide whole numbers, fractions, and decimals using US customary measurement system.
- Must possess a basic understanding of the metric system.
- Two (2) years of related experience, one (1) in the maritime environment.
- Must be DBIDS Eligible.
- Must have a current OSHA10 Maritime and Firewatch certification.