- Assist the HS&E Department in ensuring compliance with Safety Policies, Fire and Flooding Plan, Corporate, State, and Federal regulations and guidelines regarding occupational safety & health.
- Shall have basic knowledge and background in OSHA 1915, or 1926 or 1910.
- Works with employees on safety issues and when employees request assistance on a variety of safety and risk/accident prevention concerns.
- Performs site and equipment inspections, required to assist in the completion of accident investigations, fire safety inspections.
- Perform safety surveys to identify and evaluate occupational health, safety and environmental conditions.
- Assists with on-site inspections to audit physical conditions and safe work practices.
- Recommends actions for temporary work stoppages of closings of areas.
- Provides first response medical assistance until the arrival of medical team.
- Must be able to calibrate use and interpret air monitoring equipment.
- Must be able to conduct monthly inspection programs (fire extinguishers, hose testing, SCBA) and complete necessary paperwork in a timely manner.
- Must be willing and able to extinguish live fires at the incipient stage.
- Must be able to work with other safety personnel, supervisor and managers and to take direction.
- Perform other related duties as directed that correspond to the overall function of this position.
- Must be able to operate the ships on board fire suppression systems as instructed.
QUALIFICATIONS / KNOWLEDGE / EXPERIENCE:
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written (training/presentations/report writing.
- Skilled in the basic standards, concepts, practices, and procedures within the health, safety and environmental fields.
- Ability to work at all levels within and organization and the ability to work in a diverse work group.
- Must have or be able to obtain within 6 months the OSHA 10 hour training in accordance with 29 CFR 1915.
- Must have or be able to obtain fire watch training
- Must have or be able to obtain with-in 6 months from hire date to complete a medical first responder course
- Must have basic knowledge of LOTO, Hot Work and CSE procedures.
- Must have or be able to complete an OSHA and NFPA training so that they may be recognized as competent person for hot work inspections.
- Must have or be able to complete an OSHA training class so that they can be recognized as a competent person for confined space air monitoring.
- Must be able to work in close and confined spaces.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills.
- Must be willing and able to work nights and week-ends, Holidays and be in On Call Status.
- Must be calm, unemotional and in control when faced with angry or confrontational employees.
- 1 to 5 years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- OSHA Outreach training as it relates to Shipyard Industry – Considered a Plus but not necessary to apply for job.
- TOOLS: Integrated Air monitoring equipment, Real time air monitoring equipment, lanyards harnesses, LOTO Devices, Extinguishers.
- DIRECTION EXERCISED: N/A.
- DISCRETION EXERCISED: Authority to recommend corrective and disciplinary actions for trade supervisors and their subordinates.
- LIAISES WITH: BIW, GDIS, Navy personnel, supervisors and foreman, subcontractors, contractors and any other person or group that may be designated.
- PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Must be able to tour all vessels and work sites.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to manipulate, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb and balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit.
Specific physical requirements include the following:
- Must have the ability to bend, squat, stoop, crawl, and kneel. Perform prolonged standing. Ability to turn head from side to side and about the vertical axis.
- Ability to turn body at the waist from side to side and about the vertical axis.
- Lift/push/pull 50lbs to 75lbs on an occasional basis.
- Lift/push/pull up to 20lbs on a frequent basis.
- Must have the ability to climb in an unrestrained safe manner (climbing as a minimum includes stairs, scaffolding, ladders, and ramps).
- Ability to work at heights above 12’ while working from ladders, scaffolding and/or man lifts.
- Able to work at a variety of levels (ex. waist, eye, overhead).
- Demonstrate the ability to safely and appropriately use required tools and equipment.
- Demonstrate good balance while working on uneven surfaces and maneuvering obstacles.
- Possess sufficient handgrip and coordination to carry and operate tools and equipment.
- Ability to utilize personal protective equipment (hard hat, safety glasses, steel-toes shoes, goggles, respirator, safety harness, safety line, flotation gear, etc.) safely per OSHA standards.
- Ability to withstand cold and hot temperatures. Ability to enter 18” x 36” openings and work in confined spaces for prolonged periods of time.
- Able to respond to verbal and audible sounds/commands. Able to utilize adequate visual skills.
- Ability to fully extend the arm while reaching overhead, reaching out, reaching to the side and reaching down.
- Ability to perceive attributes of an object/material such as size, shape, temperature and texture by means of receptors in the hands and fingers.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters whole performing the essential functions of this job.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to humid conditions, bright flashing lights, moving mechanical parts, high precarious places, outside weather conditions, and extreme heat.
- The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes and/or airborne particles at or below the PEL, toxic or caustic chemicals, and heat and cold.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually very loud, + 90 dB.
- Must comply with company, federal, state, and local safety and environmental rules and regulations while performing daily job tasks.
- 18 years of age or older at time of application.
- Able to provide proof of US Person Status
- Pass a pre-employment drug screen
- Pass a background check
- No felony convictions of Theft/Deception or Violent crimes within seven years from disposition date
- No felony convictions of Drug crimes within three years from disposition