1st Class Rigger
1st Class Rigger
NORTH CHARLESTON, South Carolina
- Plan, lay out, assemble, repair, and install complex weight handling gear and various standing and running rigging.
- Have a thorough knowledge of rigging procedures and equipment.
- Move ship’s engines, generators, turbines, pumps, boilers, structural shapes, and plates, ordnance equipment such as bombs, torpedoes, and ammunition, and delicate electronic equipment such as sonar gear.
- There is a continuing requirement to test various gear for strength and safety. As required the rigger assists divers in salvage work, move salvage equipment and raise objects to be salvaged.
- Coordinate and arrange for the work of several trades in connection with performing work from information received from technical work documents, blueprints, specifications, written and/or oral instructions.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must have 3 years of recent experience working in a shipyard as a rigger.
- Must be able to pass all administered tests prior to being hired for the position.
- Must possess knowledge, skills, and abilities sufficient to perform a full range of rigging duties, considering factors such as size, shape, and location of the object and the availability and strength of overhead support structures.
- Must be able to comprehend instructions, drawings, and general correspondence.
- Must be able to add, subtract, multiply, and divide whole numbers, fractions, and decimals.
- Must be physically and medically capable to wear all required personal protective equipment (PPE) required for the job as prescribed under OSHA standards. PPE may include hard hat, safety glasses, steel toe shoes, goggles, respirator, safety harness, safety line, flotation gear, etc.
- Must be a US Citizen or US Permanent Resident.