- Fitters are often called the "carpenters" of shipbuilding or "Artists of Steel".
- Fitters read, interpret, plan and execute from drawings and procedures.
- Fitters measure, cut, grind, fit, align and tack weld parts as small your finger nail to the large sub-assemblies and super lifts that form the structural body of the ship.
- Fitters must have strong math skills and a good mechanical aptitude.
- Fitters build in-place all interior structures, hatches, doors, bulkheads, etc., to complete all the steel work in the ship.
- Fitters are expected to climb and work in high areas or crawl and work in cramped confine spaces and perform tasks with all kinds of working conditions in-between.
- A fitter will apply their skills in the shops, platens, dry-docks and onboard ships in support of new construction, ship repair and ship overhauls.
- Template creation.
- Working with presses, floor shaping, forming plates, shaping from templates, marking symbols, doors, hatches and scuttles, rolls, presses and blacksmith shop.
- Laying out blueprints and outfitting items.
- Laying out blueprints, checking and fitting materials, tack welding of various sub-assemblies peculiar to the panel line and shell area such as decks, bulkheads, side shells.
- Working on ship ways with the erection of units and installation of structural items.
- Installation of structural outfit items, doors, ladders, foundations.
- Effective sequencing of assembly and fitting.
- Correct use of heating torches in plate heat straightening and shrinkage.
- Ability to use hand and power tools.
- Shop and field fabrication.
- Adherence to industry codes, regulations, and specifications.
- Comprehend blueprints, sketches, and templates.
- Tack welding.
- Install simple systems without templates and blueprints.
- Bulkhead and deck inserting.
- Riveted and deck inserting.
- Read and understand the Chemist and Competent Persons report and determine if job sites, particularly those involving combustible material, are safe for personnel and hot work.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Understand and act upon instruction.
- Work independently to complete responsibilities.