Newport News, Virginia
Sets up and operates a variety of machine tools such as lathes, milling machines, shapers, planers, and precision grinders to make metal parts, mechanisms, tools, or machines to exacting tolerances and dimensions. Interprets blueprints, sketches, and engineering specifications; determines sequence of operations, number of cuts required, and method of setup; uses a variety of machinist's hand tools and precision measuring instruments; makes standard shop computations relating to dimensions of work, tooling, feeds, and speeds; measures, marks, and scribes dimensions and reference points to lay out stock for machining; fits and assembles precision parts into mechanical equipment and determines material, parts, and equipment required. May modify numerically controlled programs on numerically controlled (NC) machines. May monitor and verify quality in accordance with statistical process or other control procedures. Typically requires completion of a formal apprenticeship or equivalent training and experience.
- 5+ years of related experience with High School diploma/GED and/or certification in assigned area preferred.
- CNC Milling machine experience is required (Vertical or Horizontal type).
- Preferred Experience is on a 5-Axis CNC Milling machine.
- Experience with operating a Heidenhain Machine Controller.
- Experienced with CAM software. (we use MasterCam, but does not need to be specific).