Newport News, Virginia
- Installs, maintains, and repairs ship’s propulsion and auxiliary systems; including, but not limited to, Steam, Turbine, Electrical, and Diesel propulsion systems, rudders and steering gear, elevators, and Navy UNREP systems.
- Disassemble, fault find, repair and re-assemble shipboard equipment as directed by the supervisor.
- Installs, repairs, and maintains ship’s fluid systems which include pumps, compressors, purifiers, heat exchangers, actuators and valves.
- Tests equipment to ensure systems meets specifications.
- Inspection of work, identification of potential problems, initiation of corrective actions.
- Use all tools to perform outside machinist work to include dial calipers, calipers rulers, micrometers, and stack height gages.
- Measures, marks, and scribes dimensions and reference points on material or work piece as guides for subsequent machining.
- Ensure work area is left clean, all equipment and tools are stowed away safely and protected against damage.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must have 4+ years of recent experience working in a shipyard as an outside machinist.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of machining procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to safely operate all working and non-working machinery.
- Must have the ability to read and comprehend hydraulic and pneumatic diagrams.
- Must be physically and medically capable to wear all required personal protective equipment (PPE) required for the job as prescribed under OSHA standards. PPE may include hard hat, safety glasses, steel toe shoes, goggles, respirator, safety harness, safety line, flotation gear, etc.
- Must be a US Citizen.
- Must pass a life-time background check and drug test.