- Studies blueprints, sketches, drawings, manuals, specifications, or sample parts to determine dimensions and tolerances of finished work piece, sequence of operations, and setup requirements
- Perform complex operations on many kinds of machine tools, including drill presses, lathes, milling machines, boring machines, and precision grinding machines
- Measures, marks, and scribes dimensions and reference points on material or work piece as guides for subsequent machining
- Selects, aligns, and secures holding fixtures, cutting tools, attachments, accessories, and materials on machines such as mills, lathes, jig borers, grinders, and shapers
- Select standard materials required for fabrication and machining work.
- Perform the machining operations, watch for problems in the production process, and check the accuracy of the finished piece against blueprints
- Starts and observes machine operation to detect malfunctions or out-of-tolerance machining, and adjusts machine controls or control media as required
- Verifies conformance of finished work piece to specifications
- Sets up and operates machine on trial run to verify accuracy of machine settings or programmed control data
- Set up and operate all types of shop machining tools or equipment to manufacture various parts
- Fits and assembles parts into complete assembly
- Verifies dimensions and alignment of assembly
- Installs machined replacement parts in mechanisms, machines, and equipment, and tests operation of unit to ensure functionality and performance
- Develops specifications from general description and draws sketch of part or product to be fabricated Confers with engineers, production personnel, programmers, or others to resolve machining or assembly problems
- Work includes small and large assembly, and machining of heavy steel
- Ability to perform duties with minimal supervision
- Apply knowledge of mechanics, shop mathematics, machinability of materials, and machine shop procedures
- Perform machine maintenance and is responsible for keeping work are clean and the immediate reporting of safety issues to Supervisor
- Use various hand and power tools for the completion of job tasks
- Understand and act upon simple instruction
- Must have regular, reliable attendance
- Must be able to read and comprehend blueprints, drawings and other technical trade related documents.
- Mechanical ability, manual dexterity, and hand/eye coordination required to perform various projects, per drawings, sketches, and verbal or written instructions
- Skilled in the selection, set-up and operation of the appropriate machine tool(s) for a given type of work.
- Manual machine operation experience
- In-Place machinists experience preferred
- Technical training preferred
- Experience operating precision machine tools
- Willingness to travel
- Use of precision measuring equipment.
- Must be able to work effectively with others
- Must be a steady, reliable worker
- Must have own machine tools